Friday, February 10, 2012

Thrift Store Treasures


Hi, how was your week?

Ours was good. I had all sorts of ambitious plans to post and write and craft more. Erp. Didn't happen. Part of the problem is that I is all kinds of super-broke right now. See, my older son is having a big #6 birthday in a mere 10 days. And birthdays mean presents. And birthday parties. And hungry kids that expect food at said birthday parties. So all spare $ goes to that right now(Ha! Like I have extra to begin with!)

Anyway, one of my favorite places(broke or not), to find fun stuff and random treasures are the thrift stores. I was able to find some good stuff over the past weekend, and work on it this week.(And even better, I got my husband to pay for it!).

We had bought a desk, desk chair, and dresser for our older son last spring. Mr. Crazy sanded and stained it all, but the actual seat on the desk chair was a mess. It was an ugly institution-looking fabric(read:something you'd see at school). I hated it. I kept planning to go to Joann and pick out some new fabric for it, so we could just recover it. Yeah. That was about 10 months ago. (What can I say, I'm cheap! and a procrastinator!). I finally got the idea that I could find a decent fabric on a shower curtain or other heavy duty fabric at the thrift store, then I could finish the outside of the square(so it wouldn't fray), and the cover the chair seat.

This worked out better than I had anticipated.

We found some precut fabric at the thrift store. It was appx a yard of pirate fabric, which works perfectly in his room(it's a beach theme), and also perfect for a 6 year old boy. Here's what the final result looked like...
There were some HUGE staples sticking out of the bottom of the flat chair base. I pushed the fabric down on top of it, then glued the fabric to the chair. I was not comfortable with the way the staples were sticking out(hello! I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. That is a recipe for disaster!). So I took an old washcloth, cut it into strips, and  glued them down over the staples. JUST IN CASE.


Good to go! He is THRILLED with his new chair!


My younger son LOVES Cars. I also found this at the thrift store.

Cute, right? And only $3!

Here's the problem.


Yeah. That sucks. BUT. Easily fixed up on Ye Olde Sewing Machine.

Lined it up, just below where the hole was.


The original hem was double stitched. So I figured 'what the hay!'. Then trimmed the excess off with my pinking shears


DONE!
He ended up getting a bath shortly after I was done, and was sorely disappointed when he was not using his new hooded towel.
We are big fans of the thrift store, so lots more thrifting/cheap projects on the horizon!



Cheers! Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment